Home Page

http://writingaboutsustainability.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

That Stuff We Eat Incorperated

I'm going to start this off with the fact that I'll never look at a hamburger the same way again. The movie Food Inc bothered me to say the least. It's true that I've spent my entire life either in the suburbs or on a quiet college campus, both far removed from the source of the food that I eat. I shop at Kroger, drive through Wendy's, even order out on the odd night, all without any consideration to what that food has been through before it arrived in front of me.

I had known that most of our food came from corn previous to watching this movie. In my PBIO 103 class, we watched the movie King Corn, which documented the importance of corn in America nowadays. This doesn't really bother me. True, natural flavors and naturally raised animals do taste better, but at this stage of my life I need to save as much money as I can and corn products are CHEAP.

What bothered me was the way that animals are treated. The images of the cows, ankle-deep in their own waste, the chickens that are so overgrown that they can only take a few steps before falling or how those same chickens are crammed so tight in a dark house that they can barely move. This isn't right. Don't mistake me. I'm not going to stop eating meat because of this, nor am I a heavy animal rights activist (that's my sister), but I believe there is a level of decency that should be accorded to all living things and these mass feed lots and chicken houses are not meeting that level.

We need to change how our farm animals are being treated, but this will be difficult considering the monopolies that the major corperations hold over the farming industry. There does need a to be a distinction between our loveable farm animals and what goes on the grill for dinner, but that animal deserves to at least live a reasonable life before we enjoy it. It may be more expensive, but at least I will be able to eat my next burger or chicken nugget with a cleaner concience knowing that that animal enjoyed life as much if not more than I enjoy eating it. We cannot keep things the way they are. Change is needed.

2 comments:

  1. If we pay attention to what the species of animal needs--cows need grass--chickens need room to peck around--etc., then we might get to what you are talking about. But we have to pay attention, which is hard.

    The film does not dwell much on the environmental impacts of this kind of farming, but they are great and damaging. So I;d like to say it goes beyond not mistreating animals, but to our basic health, to the earth's health and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corn is useful. I'm not saying eating only corn products is the best option, but the fact is the plant revolutionized our food industry (for better or worse?) My family burns corn for heat in a heater that is similar to a wood pellet stove.

    It also is cheap. Unless the government does some regulating, I doubt much will change. :(

    ReplyDelete